A downloadable tool for Windows and macOS
FamiStudio - NES Music Editor
FamiStudio is a very simple, DAW-style, music editor for the Nintendo Entertainment System. It is designed for both chiptune enthusiasts and the NES homebrew community.
- Modern DAW-style UI with sequencer and piano roll, no hexadecimal anywhere
- Instrument & Envelope edition
- NSF import
- Full Undo/Redo support
- Copy & Paste support
- Note drag & drop with audio preview
- Import from FamiTracker FTM & Text (official 0.4.6)
- Export to various formats (WAV, ROM, NSF, FamiTone2, FamiStudio Text, FamiTracker Text)
- Volume, fine pitch, vibrato effect tracks
- Slide notes (portamento)
- Basic MIDI input support
- Audio expansions supported: VRC6m VRC7, FDS, MMC5, Namco 163 & Sunsoft S5B.
- Low CPU usage (Direct2D for graphics, XAudio2 for audio)
Here is a 40 minutes tutorial that will teach you how to make a song from scratch.
For updates, source code and documentation, please visit www.famistudio.org.
Simply download and run the installer (.msi). If you get a security warning simple click "More Info..." and discard the warning. A shortcut to FamiStudio and the included demo songs will be added to your Start Menu. You will need install the VS2015 runtime (x86) which you can download here.
Download and uncompress the file anywhere and the launch FamiStudio app. The demo songs and included in the zip. The app is unsigned and might require you to ignore a few warning and you may need to grant it a few permissions if you are running Catalina.